Managing Attorney - Probate
At a glance
The District of Columbia Bar
17 October 2023
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Recruits and retains a diverse workforce and works to create an inclusive environment for all department staff.
• Designs and implements the Pro Bono Center’s limited-scope, pro bono probate program to include the drafting of wills, advance directives, power of attorney documentation, and estate administration forms.
• Works with the D.C. Superior Court and other stakeholders to operate the Pro Bono Center’s Probate Resource Center with a regular presence at the D.C. Superior Court.
• Identifies emerging issues, develops recommendations, and designs and implements new programs and projects.
• Provides limited-scope services and representation to clients awaiting placement in the Advocacy and Justice Clinic.
• Provides direct supervision and mentorship to pro bono attorneys taking limited-scope or full-representation cases.
• Provides day-to-day leadership, management, coaching, and mentoring to direct reports.
• Recruits and retains a diverse workforce and works to create an inclusive environment for direct reports within one’s department.
• Manages and guides staff during regular case review meetings and provides timely feedback to supervisees.
• Recruits, mentors and volunteer attorneys for pro bono limited-scope or full-representation cases.
• Develops standards for case handling and the delivery of high-quality legal services.
• Designs and implements probate trainings for pro bono and partner organizations’ attorneys.
• Organizes and facilitates community outreach trainings for probate matters.
• Refers appropriate matters to other area legal services providers.
• Collaborates with other Pro Bono Center clinics, including staffing and mentoring at the monthly Saturday Advice & Referral Clinics.
• Represents the Pro Bono Center in meetings with the D.C. Superior Court, law firms, legal services providers, and other community partners.
• Assists in the acquisition of grant funding to provide probate services.
• Prepares reports for internal use and grant reporting.
• Assists in drafting and developing proposals, budgets, and other fundraising and outreach materials. Drafts reports, articles, memoranda, publications, and resource materials.
• Updates material for self-represented litigants and responds to and maintains records of requests for materials and information.
• Facilitates improvements in the case management system and Probono.net.
• Performs other duties as assigned.Apply now