At a glance
Pro Bono Resource Centre of Maryland
7 February 2024
MILAP gives free legal advice to people living in Maryland who must appear before the immigration court because they are at risk of deportation. In certain cases, MILAP steps-in to provide limited and concrete legal services to help vulnerable families and children meet the deadlines in their cases (e.g., help complete application for asylum or assist the family with changing their court location to one that is closest to where they live).
- Staff weekly legal clinics in Baltimore City and occasional clinics in Hyattsville to assist with registration, intake, obtain necessary client paperwork, manage flow of clients, direct immigrants to additional resources, interpret for volunteer attorneys, and other support.
- Conduct brief Know Your Rights presentations.
- Track and summarize data related to clients served and effectiveness of legal clinics.
- Share referral information and resources with immigrants who contact PBRC seeking legal help.
- Increase community awareness about relevant resources, including brief legal advice clinics, case placement services and relevant city and state programs and social service resources.
- Work with MILAP Team to maintain and develop a network of community partners.
- Develop and implement creative outreach strategies that will connect unrepresented immigrants in removal proceedings to available legal services and resources.
- Create outreach materials for volunteer recruitment and translate documents as needed.
- Conduct client follow up and compile data regarding the impact of the MILAP.
- Coordinate and execute interpreter volunteer sign-ups and assess fluency of volunteer interpreters.
- Provide support to Project Director for grant reporting duties as needed.
The Successful Candidate
- Spanish language fluency required.
- Bachelor’s Degree (paralegal or law-related experience preferred).
- Experience in community organizing/activism and/or public outreach.
- Must be available some evenings and weekends when community legal clinics occur.
- Access to reliable transportation for frequent travel to PBRC’s office, Baltimore Immigration Court, Hyattsville Immigration Court, and occasional travel to other locations in Maryland for outreach events and community clinics.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational and record-keeping skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Proficiency in data collection and tracking preferred (prior Salesforce experience preferred)
- Ability to work well with people, including other staff, volunteers, clients, public interest organizations, governmental entities, Board members, and donors.
- Experience working with children and/or the immigrant community is preferred.
- Strong commitment to helping the community and ensuring equal access to justice.